What is colostrum
Colostrum or ‘first milk’ is the milky substance that for the first few days provides the necessary sustenance for human babies, puppies and the offspring of other mammals. More than that, it provides the antibodies that provide protection against disease and infection. It helps build the immune system, provides growth factors and creates the foundation of a healthy gut microbiome, all of which are necessary if the fledgling recipient is to grow into a healthy adult. The thing is though, colostrum is not only beneficial to babies. Those same properties can also benefit adults. And when your adult dog for example needs a boost in the health department, the most readily available form of colostrom is colostrum from cows. Bovine colostrum for dogs!
The importance of colostrum
Bovine colostrum for dogs offers your best friend a number of important benefits. It:
- Contains immunoglobulins (antibodies), proteins that your dog’s immune cells make to fight off bacteria, viruses and other harmful pathogens.
- Boosts immunity. Strengthens your dog’s first line of defence, its immune system, to make it better able to withstand foreign invaders.
- Benefits gut health by strengthening the gut wall (reduces intestinal permeability) and populating the digestive tract with beneficial bacteria.
- Prevents inflammation, the root cause of virtually every canine disease. Diseases that include allergies and arthritis, heart disease and digestive problems, diabetes and cancer.
- Provides growth factors that stimulate cell growth, help repair muscle, bone and connective tissue.
- Provides antiviral, antimicrobial, antifungal and antiparasitic benefits that give your dog its best chance of good health.
- Supports wound healing when used topically.
- Helps prevent cancer and other chronic diseases.
Looking to make homemade food for your dog? This step-by-step guide tells you all you need to know. Complete with recipes and instructions, it's ready for immediate download.
Benefits of colostrum for dogs
Bovine colostrum has much to offer your dog. It can:
- Relieve allergy symptoms by controlling the inflammation that causes rashes, itchiness and associated discomfort.
- Help improve leaky gut syndrome whereby the lining of the gut becomes more permeable than it was designed to be. This then allows toxins, bacteria and microscopic particles of undigested food to enter the bloodstream and cause havoc throughout your dog’s body.
- Help control both chronic (long-term) and acute (short-term) diarrhoea, a major symptom of leaky gut syndrome.
- Repair gut damage caused by veterinary medication by helping repopulate it with good bacteria destroyed by the likes of antibiotics.
- Regulate an overactive immune system resulting from over-vaccination.
- Help overcome yeast infections.
- Fight viral and bacterial infections.
- Help protect against cancer.
- Benefit arthritis suffers. The growth factors in bovine colostrum for dogs can help repair damaged connective tissue in a dog’s over-worked joints.
- Help speed up wound-healing when used topically.
And it can even reverse the signs of ageing in senior dogs by helping preserve lean muscle mass and bone density. It can also help reverse the symptoms of cognitive decline in your senior best friend!
How much bovine colostrum to give your dog
If you give your dog powdered bovine colostrum, whether it is branded for humans or bovine colostrum for dogs, feed 1/16th of a teaspoon per 11kg of your dog’s body weight once or twice a day. For best effect feed on an empty stomach either 30 minutes before or 2 hours after a meal. If necessary, mix with a little bone broth, a little kefir or a teaspoon of plain natural yogurt.
And if your dog has any of the health problems mentioned, a canine nutritionist is uniquely qualified to help you cure, improve or manage them in a natural and holistic way. Please contact me if I can help.