Why people home cook for their dog
In preparing to write a piece about home cooking for dogs, a Google search threw up an interesting quote:
“Some pet owners begin feeding home cooked food because they find that their pet is not too interested in the commercial food being offered. Eventually they find themselves trapped because the pet will now not eat any commercially prepared food, and home cooking now constitutes 100% of the animal’s daily intake.”
Interestingly enough, that’s why many people take up home cooking for dogs in the first place. Because they don’t want their dogs to continue to suffer at the hands of commercial food manufacturers. Because they know they’re more interested in profit than animal welfare.
Nothing beats homemade dog food
Making homemade dog food is what many people revert to when they realise they’re being short-changed by commercial dog food manufacturers. Manufacturers show tantalizing photos of fresh produce on the outside of their packaging. In reality though, the food inside looks nothing like it. And believe me, it is nothing like it. And home cooking is also the way many more people would actually prefer to feed their dogs. If they had the time and the knowledge.
Home cooking for dogs is on the increase
Making homemade dog food is in on the increase. And it’s on the increase because people want to know exactly what they’re feeding their dogs. By making homemade food for my dogs Marco and Ava, I know I’m offering them the chance to be the best dogs they can possibly be. The chance to live long, happy, healthy lives. And to get the very best from each and every mealtime and everything in between. That’s what home cooking for dogs can do.
As long as people understand the concept of balance, variety and moderation, making homemade dog food is just about the best thing any of us could be doing to keep our dogs happy and healthy for as long as humanly possible. I hope homemade dog food continues to grow in popularity. I hope that more lucky dogs get to eat like Marco and Ava.
Reasons why home cooking for dogs makes sense
- Your dog is a member of your family. He or she deserves better than to be fed out of a bag for the entirety of his or her life. You wouldn’t do it to your children. Don’t do it to your dog.
- We all owe it to our dogs to give them the very best life possible. That includes feeding well. Don’t hand responsibility for feeding your dog to someone who doesn’t even know your dog’s name.
- You get pleasure out of eating proper food. Dogs do too. Dogs thrive on variety. They can derive pleasure from different tastes, smells and textures just as you and I can. Don’t deprive your dog of one of life’s greatest pleasures.
- When you cook for your dog, you know exactly what has gone into his or her food.
- A well fed dog is a healthy dog. Dogs are less healthy and vets have become more wealthy since the advent of commercial dog food. Home cooking for dogs is likely to result in a healthier, happier dog.
- Pleasing our dogs, pleases us. There is documented evidence to show that we get extra pleasure from the experience of cooking for our dogs. And sensing the build up of their anticipation at meal times only increases that pleasure.